Friday, February 17, 2012

A Phone Call.

2/17/2012, 07:37 AM
Logfile from GarouMUSH.

Nicodemus: Phone rings. Ring ring!

Izzy: There are a couple rings before a youngish voice answers. "Hello?"

Nicodemus: The voice over the phone is not youngish. "Hi. I'm calling about the flyer. Is there an adult there?"

Izzy: "That's my sign," comes the answer, "...have you seen her? One sec, I'm getting a pen." There's a moment of rummaging noise. "Okay, I'm back.'.

Nicodemus: There's a brief bit of noise where the person on the other end almost manages to say something before you cut him off in pursuit of a pen. He resumes after you return. "No, I haven't seen her. Yet. I'm Nick Dalton, licensed private investigator and former detecive with the Saint Claire Police Department. I specialize in finding missing persons. My services might be of use to you."

Izzy: That's met with a second or so pause on the other end. "...I don't have a lot of money," the voice says, failing to entirely keep the disappointment out of its tone. "I mean, I don't know how much that costs. But I don't have a lot."

Nicodemus: There's a pause. "Tell me your situation and I'll see if I can work with you," the man's voice says from the other end of the line.

Izzy: "My situation like... who she is and why I'm looking?" the other voice asks.

Nicodemus: That seems to be an acceptable starting point for the investigator. "Sure. Who is she and why are you looking for her?"

Izzy: The pause this time is slightly longer, and the voice sounds a little bit nervous when it comes again. "Her name's Jennifer Sparks. She's my mom. She's a, she's a travel writer, she travels a lot. But she always calls and also sends postcards nearly every week unless she's somewhere really weird and can't, and, and it's been over three months since the last card. Which was from St. Claire. Which is why I'm looking here 'cause that's my only lead."

Nicodemus: You hear the rapid-fire clacking of a keyboard in the background as notes are taken. "Three months is a long time. Did you just get into town? Where are you staying? Is there anyone else helping you locate your mother?" Questions, questions, questions.

Izzy: There's a faint sigh, possibly relieved, though nervousness is still in the voice. "Yeah, I just got here a day or two ago. I'm staying at a youth hostel. And... and no, not really. I guess 'cause she left on purpose they need more than going out of touch to call her missing, or something."

Nicodemus: More clacking in the background. "Tell you what. I just cleared my last case yesterday and don't have anything to work on at the moment. I normally charge $400 a day, plus expenses, with a two-day minimum. This sounds like it's going to be a tough one, though, with all the time that has passed. How about I pick this one up as a side project to work on when I've got down time. I'll run the tab and, if I find her, we can come to some kind of reasonable settlement after the fact. This is not how I normally do business--or I'd be out of business--but it sounds like you could use a hand in finding your mom."

Izzy: "I..." the voice starts, then stops, pauses a moment without even apparently breathing, then exhales softly. "Yes, please. Thank you, Mr. Dalton. Um, and my name's Izzy. Sparks, also, you'd prolly guess that but I know people where it's different, so. Do you need to know anything else?"

Nicodemus: The voice on the other end of the line suggests, "How about we meet later, grab a pizza, and you fill me in on everything. I'll need a variety of information: social security numbers, date of birth, driver's license number, and any other documents or identification that might help me do computer searches for her. Also, I'll need to get a feel for what your mom is like and her interests: that'll help me narrow down my search considerably."

Izzy: "Okay. I don't think I have all of that, but I'll tell you what I know. Um. My schedule's pretty flexible right now, so I guess, just let me know when's good for you?"

From afar, Nicodemus provides a time and Garcia's Pizza, which is not too far from the youth hostel, as a meeting place. And we can maybe pick this up later.
Long distance to Nicodemus: Izzy hurrah! Thank you. (OOC.)
Nicodemus pages: Yay! Later!
Nicodemus slithers off, slitherily.
Izzy waves!
Nicodemus has left.

No comments:

Post a Comment